The washing machine doesn’t drain: The best tips for incorrect pumping out of a washing machine
A washing machine is part of every household and is, among other things, very easy to use. Furthermore, the washing machine supports our everyday life enormously by washing our laundry cleanly. If the washing machine doesn’t drain, it could be due to various factors.
In this article we want to give you tips and tricks with which you can eliminate the incorrect pumping out of the washing machine. We also want to show you how you can ensure the hygiene of your washing machine using simple home remedies.
The essentials in brief
- A washing machine is a must in every household because it is practical and makes our everyday lives much easier. Basically, all you need is electricity, water and the right detergent to wash your laundry in the washing machine.
- There are many reasons why your washing machine does not pump out the water after the cleaning program. Incorrect pumping is usually caused by defective components or blockages.
- Washing machines should be maintained and cleaned regularly so that germs or bacteria do not build up permanently. As a result, a smell can spread within the washing machine and affect its quality
What you should know about incorrect pumping out of washing machines
Before we give you tips on how to solve the problem, you should get some background information on this topic.
We would like to answer these frequently asked questions for you in the following paragraphs.
How does a washing machine work?
The cleaning process of a washing machine consists of detergent, water, temperature, time and electricity.
In principle, a washing machine is very easy to use. To help you understand the washing process better, we will explain the cleaning process to you using the following steps:
Load the washing machine
Before you load your washing machine with dirty laundry, you should find out about the maximum weight of the model. Weight that is too heavy can damage the washing drum or even, in the worst case, block it. When you have finished loading, you should definitely make sure that you have closed the door properly.
Fill the washing drum
Once you have added detergent and started the cleaning program, the washing drum will fill with water. During this filling phase, the washing machine motor sets the washing drum in motion. The holes in the drum help the laundry to be flooded with water. As soon as the water level of the machine is reached, the water filling stops automatically.
Washing machine rotation and temperature
The drum is set in motion by the motor and a belt. The drum movement differs from the program. For this reason, the cleaning program has a major influence on the speed and rotation of the washing drum.
Another important factor is temperature. The tubular heating element of the washing machine is responsible for heating the water and is located exactly under the washing drum. Once the set temperature is reached, the actual washing really begins.
Before you can take your washed clothes out of the washing machine, a so-called spin cycle is completed in the last few minutes. The device spins your clothes against the wall of the machine so that the remaining water from the laundry escapes.
The drain pump is responsible for pumping out the dirty water with all the dirt particles at the end. If the water doesn’t pump out, you can consider our tips for pumping it out under “What can I do if the washing machine no longer pumps out?”
How do I know if a washing machine is no longer pumping out water?
Basically, it is very easy to recognize when the pump or pumping out is no longer working. If there is water in the washing machine after a wash cycle has been completed, it can be concluded that something in the machine is clogged or defective.
The first thing most people think of is the pump, but various causes can affect pumping. If you have found the cause of the incorrect pumping, you can use our tips to solve the problem.
If not, only an expert can determine what the real cause is. If the pump is defective, they have to replace the pump, not you.
What can I do if the washing machine no longer drains?
Often the problem is not that serious and can therefore be eliminated very quickly. Sometimes there is a malfunction in the system that can be solved very easily. To find out, you should turn off the washing machine and wait for at least 30 seconds.
The best way to do this is to disconnect the power supply by pulling out the plug. Then you can turn it on again and wait patiently for a moment. If the washing machine now pumps out the water, then you have solved the problem.
Of course, there are other reasons that could cause incorrect pumping. Before you use our tips, we have presented materials in a table.
|You need this||Description|
|Bucket||You can collect the water with a bucket.|
|Gloves||Wearing gloves protects you from dirt and bacteria during repairs.|
|Towels/washcloths||If you come across residual water or dirt, a washcloth is best.|
The materials mentioned are required for successful implementation.
Washing machine door not locked
Only when the washing machine door is properly closed can the cleaning process of your laundry begin. If the door is not closed properly, the washing machine will not drain the water, causing water to build up in the drum.
Check your washing machine door. If it’s not closed properly, you should definitely do this. You will hear a click indicating that you have successfully closed the door.
This aspect is actually very obvious, but many people still forget to check the power supply.
Check the power supply. Is the display activated? Are the lights on? If yes, then you have done everything correctly and can continue with the washing process.
In this case, the drain hose could be blocked and prevent pumping. During the spin cycle, it can happen that the washing machine moves and the hose accidentally kinks. The hoses are located on the back of the device.
- Remove the creases with light hand movements.
- If the problem is still not resolved, you should unscrew the hoses using a screwdriver and check for blockages.
- Now test whether water flows through the hose when pumping out. Take the bucket here.
- Clean the hose with a degreasing cleaner if dirt has accumulated. Use hot water – but be careful.
- If this is not enough, only a special pipe cleaning agent will help. Be careful when doing this and it is best to wear gloves. The product is caustic and should therefore not come into contact with the skin.
The 5 steps should be followed to ensure that the drain hose works optimally again.
We have described and explained in detail below where the drain pump is located in the washing machine and how you should clean it.
If you have problems repairing the drain pump, we advise you to call professional help. You should never replace it with a new pump yourself!
Where is the pump of a washing machine and how do I clean it?
The pump is located in the front area of the housing under the drum of the washing machine.
Because of its position, the pump of a washing machine is the first element to catch dust and lint that can slide through the holes in the washing drum.
If your washing machine doesn’t drain the water, the pump could be clogged. So that you can solve this problem, we will give you instructions on how to clean the pump. Below we will show you exactly how to clean your washing machine pump:
- Before you start cleaning, you should unplug the washing machine and unplug it from the power supply.
- Now open the pump flap. On most models this is either in the lower area or on the right or left. You may need to use a screwdriver for this step.
- Some water may run towards you, so wipe it up with a rag.
- There is usually always a drain hose in a washing machine. You can use this to drain the water.
- In every washing machine there is a lint shooter that catches the lint or other small parts. Expand this. If you have problems looking into the pump channel, a flashlight will help you.
- Clean the lint shoot with lukewarm water before using it again. The sieve should not be damaged.
- Also clean the pump housing and pump cover.
- Now put the pump cover back in and screw it tight.
- Finally, you should test whether the washing machine can now successfully pump out the water. To do this, add water to the detergent compartment and watch what happens.
After successfully implementing the 9 steps, the constipation will be eliminated.
How can I eliminate strange noises and pumping problems from the washing machine?
It can happen that your washing machine does not drain and also hums.
The first step is to clean your washing machine according to the cleaning tips that we have already explained to you above. If the humming doesn’t stop, you could try putting away all nearby objects.
If your washing machine continues to hum, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to call a repairman. If the washing machine is still under warranty, it is worth repairing.
There is a possibility that your appliance may be outdated and it is high time to get a new washing machine.
Why does the washing machine stink after incorrect pumping?
The reason why the washing machine has a smelly smell can be as follows: Germs or bacteria have formed in one place. Once you figure out the cause of the smell, the problem is easy to solve.
When washing, grease, dirt or hair can accumulate, which can contribute to the formation of a film of dirt. We will explain how you can remove these below:
- Rubber Apron: Open the washing machine door. There is a thickened rubber apron in the lower entrance area. This collects some of the remaining water, which is why unpleasant odors can form. You can easily wipe and clean the affected areas with a kitchen paper towel.
- Drain and drain hose: Clean the sink drain by clearing the clog. Connect the washing machine’s wastewater hose so high that the water from the sink drain can no longer flow back.
- Cleaning program: Run the cleaning program without laundry once a month. At a heat of around 95 degrees Celsius, germs definitely die.
- Ventilate: Ventilate your washing machine after each wash cycle by leaving the washing machine door open for a few hours.
- Residual water: The residual water can be drained using a hose. This is located behind the base panel of the device.
- Hygiene cleaners: There are special hygiene cleaners that can combat the stench and even prevent it.
The unpleasant smell can be eliminated using the methods mentioned.
Why can’t I open the washing machine door after pumping incorrectly?
After pumping out incorrectly, the water is still in the washing machine and therefore prevents the door from being opened. There are different factors that could cause this problem. We have explained one of them to you below:
Lock is stuck
Nowadays, most models are equipped with an electronic lock, which means you have to wait a while after each wash before you can open the door.
- Unplug your washing machine and try opening the door.
- If the lock is stuck, light pressure on the door is sufficient in most cases. Do not use excessive force or you may damage the door.
Not every model has an electronic lock. There are now the following options that you can use to solve the problem:
You can use a screwdriver to open the door and then reach into the washing machine.
Most models have a mechanical lock that you can open using the release button. The respective manual will help you find the release button on the washing machine.
If the door continues to stick and won’t open, you may want to call a repairman for help.
Cleaning washing machines: The best home remedies for clean washing machines
The washing machine can be cleaned and maintained very well with the help of hygiene cleaners and other cleaning agents. In addition to chemical cleaning products for the washing machine, there are home remedies that have an equally good effect.
In the following table we have summarized three home remedies and their functions:
|Home remedies||Cleaning process|
|citric acid||If you add around six tablespoons of citric acid to the washing drum and wash with a washing program at around 95 degrees Celsius, you can remove bacteria and germs. In addition, the lemon scent ensures a fresh and pleasant scent.|
|Baking soda and vinegar||With this method, you add around 50 grams of baking soda into the detergent compartment and around 50 milliliters of vinegar into the fabric softener compartment. The appropriate cleaning program should be carried out without laundry at around 60 degrees Celsius.|
You should be aware that no laundry will be washed if you want to try the methods mentioned in the table above.
We hope that with our tips and tricks you were able to find the cause of the incorrect pumping and implement it. As a rule, we advise you to purchase good, expensive models that will accompany you for decades and make your everyday life much easier. If components in your washing machine are defective, only a professional can replace them.
With our tips you can easily pump out the water in the washing machine and clean the affected components. If you have larger or more difficult problems that don’t solve themselves, you should definitely seek help.